1 Timothy 3
Key Text: 1 Tim 3:16 – “Without any doubt, the mystery of our religion is great:
He was revealed in flesh,
vindicated in spirit,
seen by angels,
proclaimed among the Gentiles,
believed throughout the world,
taken up in glory.”
- This text comes after a discussion of qualifications for Church leaders. Perhaps Paul wants to keep leaders grounded in the central “mystery ” of the faith
- This is likely an older creed that was used by the Church.
- The order of each line is interesting – it isn’t in what would be considered normal sequential order.
- The other interesting thing is that this creed focusses on missionary activity.
- Christ isn’t the main actor in this creed – people are.
- People experience Christ (revealed, vindicated, taken up)
- People proclaim Christ
- People believe in Christ.