1 Timothy 4
Key Text: 1 Tim 4:4 – “For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected, provided it is received with thanksgiving.”
- This verse’s context is important: the previous verse talk about how some people are forbidding marriage and eating certain foods on religious grounds
- There are all kinds of things we forbid in the name of religion, rather than focussing on the goodness that God has provided.
- I’m not saying that we should just accept everything – Paul is pretty clear about avoiding certain kinds of behaviours. It would be easy to take this verse out of context and apply it to anything at all. That’s not Paul’s intent.
- I think this verse asks us to have a shift in attitude. Receive with thanksgiving, not bitterness – don’t outright reject something because its new, or because its challenging. See life as a good gift from God. Absolutely discern what is right with help from the Spirit, but primarily receive with thanks
- this is a totally different way of life than what we’re used to.
- We tend to be negative complainers who think we are in control
- We are meant to be thankful receivers who know that God created everything, and created it good.