1 Timothy 6
Key Text: 1 Tim 6:17 – “As for those who in the present age are rich, command them not to be haughty, or to set their hopes on the uncertainty of riches, but rather on God who richly provides us with everything for our enjoyment.”
- Earlier Paul talks about money being the root of all kinds of evil.
- The verse after this talks about the rich being generous.
- This is particularly appropriate for followers of Jesus in the suburbs
- Its not condemning the rich, but its warning them asking them to put their trust and look forward not to their wealth or what they can buy, but to God
- There is also a great reminder in this verse that God is the one who provides, and he provides for our enjoyment.
- I don’t think that’s about material wealth, but we do need to have the right perspective – that God gives for us to experience joy and have fun!