2 Timothy 1
Key Text: 2 Tim 1:6-7 – “For this reason I reming you to rekindle the gift of God that is within you through the laying on of my hands; for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.”
- I’ve been traveling a lot, making my renewed commitment to daily scripture and prayer a difficult one to keep. Tomorrow I head home and won’t be going anywhere for a while – I am thankful for this.
- I was reminded tonight listening to Stephen Farris present on preaching to devote more time to preparing my sermons. I’ve been lax in this.
- I was also reminded that the two main tasks of a minister are preparing for and leading worship and connecting with people (visiting/pastoral care), something I struggle with doing in a systematic way. I need to be held accountable for these things.
- I would do well to devote mornings to sermon preparation (Stephen suggested 4 3-hour mornings), and afternoons/evenings (depending on the day) to connecting with people.
- I often work better with clear goals/tasks, but often don’t have the tasks clearly defined for me.
- Its interesting to me how well preaching and connecting go together with having a “spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline”