2 Timothy 3
Key Text: 2 Tim 3:1-5 – “You must understand this, that in the last days distressing times will come. For people will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boasters, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, inhuman, implacable, slanderers, profligates, brutes, haters of good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power. Avoid them!”
- What an amazing description of people
- The part I have real trouble with is the command at the end: “avoid them!”
- I’d be happier with “love them”
- Maybe this is talking, though about people in the church who are like this, given the phrase “holding to the outward form of godliness but denying its power”
- Maybe we are to avoid church people who are not really “lovers of God” – and so not allow them to have any power over us.
- In the same way, we all need to let these words work on us, and repent.