“Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, returned from the Jordan and was led by the Spirit in the wilderness, where for forty day he was tempted by the devil.”
- In the first 4 chapters of Luke, the Holy Spirit is mentioned a number of times – always as being with of in people.
- This can be read that the Spirit led Jesus into the wilderness in order to be tempted (like Mark’s gospel)
- Can also be read that while the devil tempted Jesus, the Spirit was leading him – ie. the Spirit was with him even through the temptation.
- A few weeks ago I preached about being aware of the Spirit’s presence and how difficult that can be. Perhaps if every day we had reminders of the Spirit’s presence, we would not fall when we are tempted.
- I spoke about how we need tangible reminders, like the sacraments, but also friendship, creation, the Bible and prayer. Perhaps the most constant ones in this for me are the Bible and prayer. The hard part is being consistent in using tem as daily reminders of God’s gracious presence.