“Then all the people of the surrounding country of the Gerasenes asked Jesus to leave them; for they were seized with great fear. So he got into the boat and returned.”
- Jesus performs a miracle and the people are afraid and don’t want him there anymore.
- At other times, Jesus or an angel says “fear not” to those who are afriad. Not here. Jesus just leaves as requested.
- People are still afraid of Jesus, afraid of religion, afraid of the supernatural – maybe this is why we talk more about the Jesus of history and less about the Holy Spirit
- How do we know when to say fear not, and when to leave as requested?
- The important thing in the story is that the man who used to have demons in him wants to come with Jesus, but Jesus asks him to stay behind and tell his village all that God had done for him
- Jesus recognizes that this man will be an evangelist, and that he doesn’t need to stay. The man who was helped simply needs to tell his story
- Jesus wasn’t adding to his own band of followers, he was sending a new kind of follower.
- Once you experience God, then you are the best witness for God.